ladies and gentlemen, I give you … the hula hoop sandwich!
You will need one bag of plain KP Hula Hoops, some plain bread (aka a square loaf), and some kind of butter-like substance. I used olive spread, as I’m watching my cholesterol (in this case, watching it shoot through the roof).
Arrange the Hula Hoops on the bread carefully.
Apply the top slice.
This is the important bit: squodge it down so the potato snacks can’t escape.
Eat, and enjoy.
Uhoh, there’s a huge Canada Computers opening just up the road; next to this sign, in fact. I’m glad I no longer commute past it; the temptation would be too strong.
och jings, we won!
Scotland beat France 1-0 yesterday. Here are some Scots enjoying the health benefits of smoking in the drizzle:
a joy forever
I finished fixing up the brakes on the Super Galaxy, and put new handlebar tape on the bars. I still suck at fitting bar tape; should’ve stuck to my old standard Benotto tape, which, while almost useless for shock absorption, is cheap and easy to fit.
Once all was fitted, I took it for a spin. The new brakes are a delight; very positive and extremely powerful. I will enjoy riding again.
(And yes, you bike nerds, there is no straddle cable in that picture.)
the end of poverty in your coffee cup?
I’m not sure what to make of EWB‘s current campaign, which features a future newspaper headline G8 Leaders Declare End of Extreme Poverty. It links to playyourpart.ca, which seems to say that we can end world poverty just by buying fair-trade goods?
I know there’s a lot wrong with the coffee industry (Free Trade Coffee: You Grind The Beans, We Grind The Peasants! Enjoy the smooth trickle-down flavour, etc) but it’s a simplistic argument. What can the extremely poor sell to us?
I don’t know what to think.
no nimh joy in my speedlight
I wonder why my Nikon SB-600 won’t work with (expensive) Panasonic 2300mAh HHR-3SPA NiMH cells? It loves Duracells to death, but won’t even fire once with the rechargeables.
(Oh, and wish me luck; I’m about to clean my the sensor on my D70 for the first time.)
I’m going in a field …
… To survey.
It’s lovely weather for it. Just a few weeks ago, it was bitter up here.
Strange coincidence: one of the surveyors, Joy, knows our friends the Bowyers.
I (heart) languagehat
languagehat, on begging the question:
This is one of those issues that is catnip to the adolescent language-lover but which a sensible person grows out of. I too used to enjoy tormenting people with the “truth” about the phrase, but I eventually realized that, whatever its origins … I had never seen or heard the phrase used “correctly” except by people making a point of doing so (cf. “hoi polloi”); in current English usage, “beg the question” means ‘raise the question,’ and that’s that. I got over it …
[T]his … is a sign that the language has sailed on, leaving wistful archaists treading water and clutching at the stern.
music of 2005
It’s getting towards the end of the year, so I’m thinking about what albums I enjoyed most. These are the 2005 albums I have in my collection:
- A Hawk And A Hacksaw — Darkness At Noon
- Aimee Mann — The Forgotten Arm
- Animal Collective — Feels
- Beck — Guero
- Bettye Lavette — I’ve Got My Own Hell To Raise
- Bright Eyes — Digital Ash In a Digital Urn
- Bright Eyes — I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning
- Calexico / Iron & Wine — In the Reins
- Caribou — Marino Audio
- Dan Jones — Get Sounds Now
- The Decemberists — Picaresque
- Deerhoof — The Runners Four
- Devendra Banhart — Cripple Crow
- Dressy Bessy — Electrified
- The Duhks — The Duhks
- Eels — Blinking Lights And Other Revelations
- Fiona Apple — Extraordinary Machine
- Gorillaz — Demon Days
- Grandaddy — Excerpts From The Diary Of Todd Zilla
- Jennifer Gentle — Valende
- John Parish — Once Upon a Little Time
- Kate Bush — Aerial
- Kate Rusby — The Girl Who Couldn’t Fly
- Kimberley Rew — Essex Hideaway
- Lazerlove5 — Flicker Mask
- Lemon Jelly — ‘64–‘95
- The Lollipop People — We Need a New F-Word
- Malcolm Middleton — Into The Woods
- Marbles — Expo
- The Mountain Goats — The Sunset Tree
- My Morning Jacket — Z
- Of Montreal — The Sunlandic Twins
- Sigur RÃ³s — Takk …
- Sleater-Kinney — The Woods
- Sufjan Stevens — Illinois
- The Vanity Project
- Wolf Parade — Apologies to the Queen Mary
I know there are some that won’t make my list (Aerial, for one) but the rest of them all have their moments.
This one almost made stuff come out my nose on the train: She cant possibly be enjoying this!
ndiswrapper = teh roxx0r
How driver installation for any hardware should be (and with ndiswrapper, is):
- plug in hardware (in this case, a SMC2862W-G USB wireless adaptor)
- wave magic wand at the driver
- enjoy your network
Can I just say that Dressy Bessy‘s Electrified is currently rocking my world? Their noisy, joyous power-pop is a wonder to behold.
my wind-powered PC
As a thank-you for speaking at the ESC/EWB Power Shift lecture series, I was given a Pembina Institute Wind Powered PC tag. That means that the energy equivalent of three years of PC usage has been bought for me from a windfarm.
I’d like to thank the folks at UofT for putting up with me for the evening, and buying me dinner at the (in)famous Peel Pub (would that be innfamous?). I enjoyed it, and I hope they did too.