Having had a chance to watch Julian play at close range, he plays a regular five string with the fifth removed. It sounds like he tunes DGBD, but I could be wrong.
His strum style is almost like a jazz banjo rhythm, but done without a pick. The one song he played used a familiar progression: first and fourth strings fretted at the 5th, then both down to 4th, to 2nd, then up to 3rd. Try it – it’s fun!
Julian Koster played at our house last night as part of his Music Tapes Caroling tour. We had one other guest, Dan Farrar from Dunnville. It was a great night. Julian played some Music Tapes classics (he played Freeing Song by Reindeer, my favourite ‘Tapes song so far), while Badger Saw played some carols. A fun night.
Recording is here: Julian Koster – Music Tapes Caroling, our house – 1 Dec 2008:
- Introducing Badger Saw
- O Tannenbaum
- Introduction to a song flown by a little blind girl
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- Introducing the Emergency Banjo
- Takeshi & Elisha
- Introduction to Freeing Song by Reindeer
- Freeing Song by Reindeer
- well suited to a throat …
- Introduction to The Silly Old Man
- The Silly Old Man said “My Hat is a Cow!”
- Introduction to The First NoÃ«l
- The First NoÃ«l