I picked up a fine-looking ex-Forces Bach-Simpson 635 multimeter from Active Surplus the other week.
After opening it up and cleaning out all the corroded battery gunge, it cleaned up pretty well:
The needle would only go about â…– full range, though. Carefully opening up the front showed that the corrosive goo had got into the meter movement itself:
Since the meter was pretty much useless as is, I carefully scraped away at the green gunge on the stator. This freed up the moving coil, so the meter now works pretty close to how it should. Clock that dial!
I took the HV back off the meter. There’s no way I’m going near 6 kV with this meter. Anything over 12 V makes me worried â€¦
I guess the “UV Resistant!” nylon rope I used to rig my mini-G5RV wasn’t that resistant. Two summers of Scarborough sun did for it, turning the casing into friable dust. I knew that buying that big reel of black antenna rope last year was a good idea.