I like bbtracker -it’s a very simple GPS track logger for the Blackberry. It has (at least, at the current version) one problem – you can’t create waypoints in the way that most GPS applications would expect. You can, however, name trackpoints – so I wrote a little perl script to extract all the named trackpoints from an exported GPX files, and save them as waypoints.
Download bbtrackerwpt – converts named trackpoints from bbtracker GPX into waypoints. You’ll need XML::Simple for this to work.
I imagine this script has a limited audience, and quite likely a limited lifetime. The author of bbtracker has said they’d provide waypoint support in the next version. You know me and patience, though …
If I remembered more XSLT, I’d have done this the proper way. As is, I create XML using Perl
I’m learning to yodel, from Cathy Fink & Tod Whittemore’s Learn to Yodel. Why not?
at Pages Books on Queen W.
The left channel of my Etymotics just gave out.
Pleasantly surprised that a local store – Scarboro Music, at Vic Park and Kingston has autoharp strings.
It also has a very fine old Dobson banjo for $1500.
I’ve been trying to learn banjo chords for a while, and the books I have keep flopping closed. So I resolved to make a blank chord form that I could fill in, like this:
You might wonder why it goes to the 7th fret. If you’re in Double C tuning, you’ll need that if you’re drawing a tuning chart.
So for G tuning, the F chord would look like:
There are 12 fretboard images to a page – that’s enough for four whole folk songs!
Download: stewart’s banjo fretboard / chord grid [PDF].
I love the way the smog rises over Mississauga in the morning.
I went up to Bill Rickard‘s yesterday to have Hugh Hunter tweak my banjo. Unfortunately Bill wasn’t there; he father died earlier in the week, and the memorial was later in the day. My condolences to Bill and his family.
Hugh was busily turning a banjo-uke block rim on the lathe when I arrived. After a little setup work (file the second string nut to kill a buzz, reduce the head tension to get the tubaphone sound), I looked around the shop.
Tone Rings and rims – including Bill’s new Dobson tone ring
Hardware – bracket bands, Whyte Ladye parts, etc.
The work in progress rack
Whyte Laydie at rear, Tubaphone up front.
For a banjo and engineering nerd, Bill’s shop is amazing. Get yourself invited up there if you get a chance.
In which Catherine menaces my ca phe sua nong:
Make Link :: Firefox Add-ons copies the current page as a link. Just like that.
I was all exited about my 2000th post, because the dashboard is showing:
So I decided to tabulate my entries by number, and discovered that I really have 2261 (well, 2262 now) blog entries. This is the real story:
The numbering seems to have gone sideways in the last 1000 entries; entry #1000 is, as they say, what it is.
You’ve no idea how happy I am to see several of these little fellers on my SCADA system:
That means we’re up and running. Go Lake Erie!
I got an autoharp on eBay a couple of weeks back. It was cheap, but fairly beat up. 32 of the 36 1970s-vintage strings were intact, if very tarnished. I spent more on new strings and a tuning wrench at Elderly last weekend. After spending a few evenings cleaning (you don’t want to know what I found in it), replacing strings (fiddly) and tuning (slow), I can now make 1970s sounds. Fun!
(and yes, before you ask, it does appear to have two B♭7 keys.)