We saw the first groundhog of the year at Warden Station this morning.
It’s fairly easy to do without one if you make your housing and
working arrangements around it. I’ve been car-free since 1996, but
we’re mostly urbanites, so this may not work for everyone.
Most of my ideas come from a great UK magazine called AtoB.
- We live very near a TTC subway station
- I cycle during the summer, take transit at other times. A TTC
pass for $90/month for an annual subscription just can’t be
- I have a Brompton folding bike (amongst far too many others, to
Catherine’s eternal dismay) which rides well, and plays well with
others on crowded transit.
- Catherine can use rental cars (I don’t have my Canadian licence
yet, for various annoying bureaucratic reasons). They’re cheaper
than running a car if you only need them now and again.
- Taxis work for getting big stuff from stores. (Unless you’re
buying an eMac computer, which comes in a box too big to fit in a
- All of our furniture was delivered, at less cost per trip than
even hiring a U-Haul.
- We get most of our groceries delivered from Grocery Gateway
- We’ve considered signing up for AutoShare, a car sharing service in Toronto. A few of our friends use it, and find it convenient and
Further to my TTC rant, I’ve noticed another thing: people standing over an empty seat, too close to let anyone sit in it, but not sitting in it themselves.
I call this seat shading. It’s annoying.
It’s 9am, TTC subway southbound at St George. The train is packed (the crowd roared like a lion… no, wait, that was Wesley Willis). It’s the usual crowd — UofT students, Queen’s Park parliament types, downtown suits — not an elderly, infirm or pregnant person in sight. Everyone’s muffled in their winter gear, and there’s no room to move.
And there are two empty seats. No-one will sit in them, ‘cos they’re too polite, or too passive-aggressive to let anyone sit in them.
To compound this, they are window seats, and there’s someone in the aisle seats. AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Am I a really bad person for wanting to sit down?